Pages

Monday, June 19, 2023

At Yata-dera Temple on a drizzly, humid day

It's the rainy season, 梅雨 Apricot Rains,which spans about one and a half months.
It's 紫陽花 Ajisai, Hydrangea season, too.
Hydrangea is a floral symbol of Japan's rainy season.
I went to Yata-dera on a drizzly, humid day.



Yata-dera is the center of Jizo Bosatsu worship.
It houses the oldest Enmei Jizo Bosatsu Statue in Japan.

Hondo, Main Hall


Stone Jizo Statues along the path leading to the Hydrangea Garden


They've planted hydrangeas since 1965
as the round flower looks like the gemstone held in Jizo's hand,
and the changing colors of the flowers teach 諸行無常 Shogyomujyo, 
everything is constantly changing and nothing remains the same.
There are around 10.000 shrubs of hydrangea of 60 different species.



In the Hydrangea Garden, visitors climb up and down stone stairway
 flanked either side by clusters of blue, purple, pink flowers against lush green backdrop.


Wet stone steps are slippery.
Watch your steps.




















Hydrangeas make our rainy days brighter as they bloom one after another
during their relatively long life span.
When I can't expect blue skies, clear blue hydrangeas especially brighten my heart.



Yata-dera is located at the middle of Yata-yama Mountain in the castle town 
Yamato-koriyama City.
About 1350 years ago, Prince Oama fled to this mountain and prayed for victory
 during the civil war, Jinshin War in 672.
 After his victory and enthronement as Emperor Tenmu, the temple was founded 
around 679 under his orders. He reigned 673 to 686.

Leading up to the temple gate is a steep slope 
and to the Main Hall and Hydrangea Garden is a long winding stairway.

Yamato-koriyama City; Sakura at Koriyama Castle Ruins


Linked to Mosaic Monday 

25 comments:

  1. the gardens look glorious, the hydrangeas so beautiful (I have 2 in my garden) and I love that name Apricot Rains. Enjly your week. I am visiting at Mosaic Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful display of those mystical flowers. Even rainy seasons can sound appealing when they have such poetic names.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous hydrangeas and pictures Yoko !
    Rain is so needed here...
    Have a shinny week !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely place to visit, the hydrangeas are gorgeous. I like the view of the temple and the statues.
    Beautiful garden, a lovely walk. Take care, have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...the hydrangeas are gorgeous. We have buds, but no color yet. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hydrangeas of differing types and colors mingling amid ancient stone statues and pathways would lead to a meditative experience ... I imagine enhanced by the soothing patter of raindrops on petals and leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's wonderful to see! Thanks for sharing these beautiful hydrangeas with me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Yoko - what a wonderful name for rain - I was wondering why the little stone Jizo Statues were dressed in the red knitted garment tops? I would love to grow blue hydrangeas, mine are pink due to my alkaline soil. However, I notice that you have both pink, white and blue growing together. Perhaps the temple gardeners are more patient then me as I realise that if I changed my soil I too could have blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The primary role of Jizo is to save children and to protect the souls of unborn babies and children who have died before their parents. Some parents have offered red baby bibs either to ask him to protect children or to thank him for saving children. Red has been believed to ward off evil since the ancient times.
      I'm sure you’ll succeed in growing your hydrangeas into your favorite colors. Good luck.

      Delete
  9. Such lovely flowers. Ours won't bloom here until August. Nice to enjoy the ones near you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hydrangeas are my favorite flower but they don't do well in this part of Florida. I love your beautiful blooms. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The gardens are beautiful.
    What a lovely place to visit!

    Hugs and blessings

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yoko - you always take us to the most exotic, captivating gardens!! I had one hydrangea when we lived in Ohio. It had vibrant foliage but never produced much in the way of flowers, so I have always admired any gardener that can produce luscious blooms such as these. Joining you from Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How wonderful to read about Apricot Rain... never before heard. It`s such a wonderful post and I enjoyed so much this harmony in the garden.

    Thank you for sharing at MosaicMonday.
    Hugs by Heidrun

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Everything is constantly changing and nothing remains the same" is so good to remember and to accept. The pathways of Hydrangea are like a flower dream come true! We are finally getting some sunshine, but the rain gives us the gift of flowers. Here it remains cool - I've been working in my gardens. (I'm finally able to comment again!) Have a wonderful summer, Yoko.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful gardens and lovely hydrangeas.
    I did enjoy seeing your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your photography skill is always very good to capture the right angles and mood to make the hydrangea blooms look fabulous. You made me dream of sitting all day there and take a nice nap while admiring the greens and flowers. Lovely!

    Japan is still the only country that has the most stone jizo statues all over in the outdoors. I am a staunch worshipper of Lord Jizo and even have his statue on my altar at home. Years ago I visited the scared Mount Jiuhua in China where I discovered that Lord Jizo was a Prince from ancient Korea and spent his last year's there.

    Thank you Yoko San for sharing all this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bello templo y lindas flores. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely walk, Yoko, thank you a lot. I go out in any weather, drizzly or sunny, it’s always great. The level of humidity, btw, has beaten all records recently. There are fewer flowers in our region, so what? Blue or grey skies, they are beautiful. Following your philosophy, everything is constantly changing and nothing remains the same. I wonder, what those red clothes (?) wrapped around Jizo statues mean, could you explain? Have wonderful summer days, Yoko.
    Irina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O-jizo-sama (we call so affectionately and respectfully) is a guardian of children as well as travelers. He tries to save children and to protect the souls of unborn babies and children who have died before their parents by all means. Some parents have offered red baby bibs either to ask him to protect children or to thank him for saving children. Red has been believed to ward off evil since the ancient times.

      Delete
  19. Wonderful hortensias! Here it is always hot in the summer and we must water them regularly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. I will visit your blog shortly. Have a nice day!