Pages

Tuesday, July 11, 2023

In the sultry air under the grey skies


About six weeks have passed since Apricot Rains set in my Kansai region in May 29th. 梅雨Tsuyu, Apricot Rains, is called so as the rainy season coincides with the ripening of 梅Ume, or Japanese apricot. The weather is mostly grey with overcast, drizzle to torrential rain, occasional rain storm with or without thunder and lightning. When blue skies appear, it's unbearably humid. People feel sticky and uncomfortable because of slowed down evaporation. I feel lethargic at times but fortunately not "under the weather." I like to go out to capture the special atmosphere of this season.


Nature looks lusher with the deep green hues and scenery shines in a little darker color nuance.




Lotus flowers, hydrangeas, bell flowers or water lilies, add pretty colors.



Under the flowers and pads, water surface looks enchanting.







The blue hydrangeas around the pond are fragmentally glimpsed on the surface of water lily pond.



A faint breeze over the pond and a ripple of hope.



There is a silver lining to the rain clouds.

(See more nice things during the Apricot Rains; 
and all the other posts labelled as "rainy season", here.)


With the recent rainfall pattern change, the record of hourly rainfall has been broken every year causing more flooding and landslide. When Apricot Rains is over in a week or so, sizzling, scorching, and swealtering summer comes, though some other regions are already attacked by the dangerous heat.

I'll slow down to cope with the climate as usual in summer. 
See you in September.

Linked to Mosaic Monday

18 comments:

  1. ...gorgeous images to start my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grey sky but colorful earth...And gorgeous pictures !
    Have a lovely day !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    Beautiful post and images. All the flowers are lovely. The rain does help to keep everything green and lush. Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos are very beautiful and the first one looks like a painting with the deer. Fabulous!

    I am always learning something new in your blog posts. Today I learn about Apricot Rains! I love to eat the fresh apricots in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hermoso lugar el ciervo me ha enamorado. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We humans may not enjoy humidity but the plant life certainly appears to. Everything looks very green and lush in your photos, but I love the photo of your Lotus flower - a picture of perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delightful post and photos!
    Interesting to learn about Apricot Rains.

    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photos of the season are spectacular as always Yoko. I do not enjoy humidity but I do enjoy apricots and apricot jam. We are having sweltering heat and wild fires here and in much of Canada. Sadly it seems the by product of climate change so I understand well the need to slow down and take things easy. Enjoy your time with family and see you in September.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely post! Your photos are fabulous and your descriptions are so perfect. Thank you for sharing the Apricot Rains story with me. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pink water lily is perfection, stardust. Balance is bliss in nature and it is not always easy to get, especially nowadays when so many of us feel lethargic due to the weather. It would be nice to stand in the water and cool off with the deer in that peaceful place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The lotus flower is stunning. Stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely photographs ...
    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. In humidity plants flourish - people not so much! I'm happy you captured these beautiful green scenes. That lotus is gorgeous! Stay cool Yoko.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved your photos, particularly the one of a deer in the water. But all of them have a quiet and lazy air. I get the impression of a warm and peaceful season, stressful for people who have to go out to work as usual, but pleasant for people who are able to stay at home quietly. I think I would prefer that time of year to sunnier days that follow. It surprises me a little that these days I don't like very hot weather. When I was young I enjoyed it, and if you had told me I'd change my mind, I'd have been amazed! But when I went to Ireland recently I didn't really mind the grey skies and drizzle.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Yoko, I hope you will read it in September. You brilliantly captured the atmosphere of Apricot Rains. Admiring the magic of rain is one of the things we have in common, you know. So, I followed you willingly, relishing washed trees and rain drops in the ponds. Thank you so much for this pleasure. I also hope, you are having a peaceful time with your family and grandchildren. Good bye till September, dear friend.
    Irina

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. I will visit your blog shortly. Have a nice day!