Pages

Monday, May 4, 2020

Recalling the travels to Asuka

The whole world is a series of miracles, but we're so used to them 
we call them ordinary things.”
 (Hans Christian Andersen)

The south side of Asuka from the Amakashi Hill

Each day is made of something special which we take for granted.
We've missed many special, important things due to the new coronavirus, 
but still each day is a special occasion I learn something new. 

I believe in human miracles which have overcome and revived from the shattered community 
by wars, natural disasters, or plagues throughout history.
Now I’m amazed with such a mass behavioral change
 that majority of people change habits drastically without strict orders
but merely requests from the prefecture and central government leaders.
(Mandatory order is impossible under the Constitution.)
We won’t regret doing responsible action but will regret that we don't do it sooner and thoroughly.
That attitude can flatten the curve of infections so that our health care workers work as safely
and efficiently as possible, and save time for the vaccine to be invented as well.

 Chinese Milk Vetches

The warmth like early summer after the cold April is tempting for a trip,
but I'll recall my past travels to Asuka where I can feel ancient miracles and mysteries.
Asuka is a small village in the countryside, birthplace of Japanese civilization,
where Buddhism first flourished after its entry in 6th Century.
Travelling around rolling hills and green fields of Asuka is soothing.




At the Amakashi hill, after a little prayer to the stone Buddhist statues, ....



... my husband and I walked up to the observatory (148m) in the dappled shadows
and the fresh verdure of the late April, 2016.










Looking closer, you surely find lovely critters here and there.



A village looked down from the north side of the hill

It is believed that the residence of Soga Emishi and his son Soga Iruka 
was located on the hill. 
The Soga clan were the dominant political power during most of 
the former part of Asuka Period (528-710). 
When Soga Iruka was assassinated in 645 (Isshi Incident), 
the clan's political domination came to an end 
and the Japanese political landscape changed dramatically. 
The former site of the imperial palace, where the assassination took place, 
was visible from the hill. 
It is now buried under the rice paddies.


The stage of ancient loves, power struggles, and tragic legends

During the Sakura season in the beginning of April, 2019,
 golden yellow rape blossoms and pale pink cherry blossoms compliment each other
at the former site of Fujiwara Palace (694-710).







On saying "see you next year" to cherry blossoms and to Asuka,
how could I imagine the current state of the world
in spite of the knowledge that all the realms of being are uncertain?



The Dawn of Japan
Women in the Asuka period (2)
The Empress who made Japan - Empress Jito
Historical facts in story form with related sites
(1)Suiko, Japan's first empress

More posts about Asuka, here.


24 comments:

  1. I love the Hans Christian Anderson quote and I wholeheartedly agree with it. This time of slowing in the world will help some people to stop and remember the beauty around us. You have captured well the beauty of Asuka. I looked up the location on the map and hopefully you can travel there again when the situation is not so dangerous to travel about the land. Take care and thank you for sharing your memories and lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous place ! The pictures are amazing and the scenery so relaxing.
    Thanks for sharing those beauties.
    Have a lovely week !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, gorgeous images of the blossoms, trail and the lovely statues. I love the butterflies! Thanks for sharing the beauty around you! Take care! Enjoy your day, have a happy new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At this time last year we had no idea that we would be saying goodbye to travels to our loved places, and even saying a temporary goodbye to our friends and family. What a lovely tranquil place you have shown. I am so looking forward to being able to visit beautiful places now that the weather is starting to improve. But the best places to visit will be the homes of my 2 sons so I can see my grandchildren again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Memories are a lovely thing to have. To consider how these things have flavored our lives. It is beautiful to see yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post is full of life especially all the flowers. These days, I've been posting mostly on past travels, and it brings back good and positive thoughts. Thank you for sharing your travel to Asuka. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely quote and photos. I especially like the flowers and insects, excellent shots.
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lovely! And what a perfect time to enjoy photos we've taken to favorite places. Thanks for sharing! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yoko - I am certain that the virus has taught us many valuable lessons, such as how to appreciate the "ordinary". Thanks for sharing these beautiful memories from your past travels. I watched part of the video, and I was immediately struck by the commentary about the world in the midst of wars and chaos. Certainly, these are challenging times, but we have experienced more difficult eras. Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your travels to Asuka look enchanting – what a lovely area. I wish I could visit Japan again, someday, but will travel ever be the same again? For now I travel by looking at photographs, like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Yoko - Hans Christian Andersen's quote is simply a perfect message for us all to heed, not just at this black moment in our history, but always.
    I love the image of the blossom with that golden backdrop of the Rape flowers - I wonder, if like us, your country also uses the rapeseeds which makes a very good cooking oil?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such A Relaxing And Peaceful Post - Thank You

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  13. These photos are amazing and I love the Hans Christian Anderson quote!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Dear Yoko!
    As always, a very beautiful, informative post. I am glad that you have such wonderful memories to which you return with joy.
    I admire your very beautiful photos that showed me this amazing place.
    Thank you very much for remembering me.
    Hugs and greetings.
    Lucja

    ReplyDelete
  15. thank you for another incredibly beautiful post dear Yoko !

    Hans quote made my day ,i think this is one of most perfect quote i ever read :) i felt same way since i got into my senses ,everything is miracle though we don't have insight to comprehend it
    images of your Asuka trip are marvelous ,such a heavenly village
    i will have to come again to complete this video you shared
    thank you for wonderful sharing always!
    stay healthy and blessed my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. La vida nos ha cambiado a todos Yoko. Este virus que llegó, espero que nos haga más responsables y apreciemos más lo sencillo y disfrutar cada día al despertar el regalo de sentirnos vivos. Seamos prudentes que unidos lograremos salir adelante.
    Tus recuerdos son maravillosos. Hermosas fotos.
    Gracias por compartirlos amiga.
    cuidate.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Yoko,
    Andersen's quotation reminds us of things which are sometimes taken for granted. Like ripe full moon these days.
    Thank you for a lovely walk in the vicinity of Asuka. It makes such a soothing impression watching blossoms, listening to sounds of nature, sitting in the shade. Simple joys all of us are looking forward to.
    In our country the situation got worse as well as in our region. I am deeply worried as my husband is at work – doctors do not work distantly, you know. We all need patience and responsibility now.
    Keep safe, dear friend.
    Irina

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Yoko thank you for incredibly inspiring video
    i loved knowing about thoughtful brave and and strong head lady who succeeded to make her husband's dream come true after all the struggle and sacrifices
    Japan is fascinating land to me ,beautiful and mysterious from where i can see it
    thaonk you so much for beautiful blogging and sharing my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's so good to remember special moments or special places, and nothing helps more our memories than photos.
    Beautiful and colorful images to brighten our eyes. I especially loved the photos of the sakuras with the yellow background.
    Take care and have a nice week
    A big hug

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm stopping by again to tell you I hope you are well my friend! Take care and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  21. 古代歴史の舞台となった明日香。四季折々の姿が楽しめる場所なのですね。
    甘樫丘2回ほど登りましたが、2度とも地元の年配男性がビールを飲んで弁当食べてるのに出会いました。
    ほとんど毎日来て景色見ながら弁当食べてると言ってましたが。😊

    ReplyDelete
  22. For a moment my heart did a big leap - I saw your comment on Rosemary's blog - because I thought you might be my dear lovely and wise blog-friend "Sapphire" from Japan - whom I miss very much. She vanished one day from Bogland.
    So, I am glad to find you here. And will follow your blog. Britta

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. I will visit your blog shortly. Have a nice day!