Pages

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Isle of Inisfree

I will introduce you one of my favorite pieces of music, Isle of Inisfree , by Celtic Woman. Beautiful scenery and nostalgia for the homeland are conveyed by its melody, lyrics, and singing. Although I'm not an exile or not far away from my hometown, I'm moved very much to hear it. My heart sails into the music to see the beautiful scenes of the isle and is touched to see the soul of an exile or how the people live.

I was born and raised in Mikage, one of residential areas of Kobe. Kobe is a large city but still has local atmosphere with its singular pace and flavor. Sea breeze was always comfortable in the summer evening. When Hanshin Earthquake hit the area, I was looking at the burning Kobe in a hazy shade of winter on TV screen. I strongly felt love for the place with dismay in helplessness. Kobe is revitalized already, but familiar scenes of my childhood are gone.

As a young child, I used to spend at my grand-parents'. I cried chased after by a hen, and was pleased chasing after fireflies. Hills and brooks waited me. I could be wild there. Now the place is developing housing area.

I wish to get closer to nature, hopefully unspoiled nature. Travelling is not always possible. This song lifts up my mental energy together with another favorites of mine, You Raise Me Up.


Isle of Inisfree


You Raise Me Up, at Tofukuji Temple, Kyoto

7 comments:

  1. You introduced me a lot of songs. This is one of them. I like it very much. I like "May it be" as well. When I'm down, that pure clear healing voice together with lyrics sinks into my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Their voice of Celtic Women is very beutiful and heals people's minds.They are singing high tone naturally like fairy, also like folk music.They love their land truly,don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time has past quickly since "the Great Hanshin earthquaks" occured on January 17,1995. And Kobe's towns were reconstructed excellently. My friend's house in Mikage, Kobe was also crushed flat, but fortunately was rebilt three years later with many supports from her family and relations.
    "Disasters happen when they're least expected".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know of this group or the song. I found a recording on YouTube, though. There are more, there, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Marc,
    I thought I had added a link to the lyrics and singing. Thanks for your kindness to cover my carelessness. I added a link to my post just now. I also added a link to "You Raise me Up." They are singing at Tofukuji temple in Kyoro.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful video! I remember going to see the performance of Portugal guitar by "Marionette" at the annex to a main building of Todaiji temple.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. I will visit your blog shortly. Have a nice day!